Early Years Curriculum
he Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) covers children throughout our Pre-School and in our Reception class. It is a play-based curriculum for children from birth to five years, which allows children to explore and learn in an environment that is secure and safe, yet challenging. Play opportunities are non-stereotypical and available to all children promoting the teaching and learning from a skilled workforce.
The EYFS emphasises that parents are a child's primary educator and therefore we strongly encourage you as parents and carers to contribute to your child's learning journey.
When planning and guiding activities we reflect on the different ways that children learn and ensure they utilise this within our practice. The Characteristics of Effective Learning are:
- Playing and exploring - supports children's engagement and investigation and to experience things through being willing to 'have a go'.
- Active learning - supports children's motivation to learn by helping develop their concentration, ability and will to keep trying when challenges occur and celebration of completing a task.
- Creating and thinking critically - supports children's thinking skills through developing ideas, making links between differing ideas and create strategies for completing a task.
Within the EYFS Framework our team provide activities and make assessment judgements based on the seven areas of learning: 3 Prime Areas and 4 Specific Areas.
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Research into early child development shows that children learn more rapidly during their first three years than in later life. Whilst all areas of learning are important and inter-connected, the three Prime areas are crucial for igniting children's curiosity and enthusiasm for learning; building their capacity to learn, form positive relationships and thrive. The specific areas will enable them to be self-motivated learners who are confident to succeed.